A dead car battery is something that most of us hope to avoid as much as possible. Getting into your vehicle to find that your car won't start can be super stressful, especially when it happens on your way to work or when you need to be somewhere important. Luckily, there are ways that you can help avoid a dead battery.
A car battery life typically runs from 3 to 5 years, depending on the make and model of your vehicle and the manufacturer of your car battery. Many car owners will actually wait until their car battery dies unexpectedly to change it, and being proactive about testing your battery charge and knowing when it is soon to die is the best way to better maintain your car battery.
Here are some ways to avoid a dead car battery before it happens:
- Have your vehicle regularly inspected here at our shop. We can test your car battery to ensure that it has life left and let you know when it needs to be replaced.
- Know your car's battery age by finding out when it was purchased and installed. After 3 years, you should be keeping a close eye on the battery and having it tested regularly.
- Be sure to never leave on a light or other electrical component in your vehicle overnight or for an extended period of time.
- Look for warning signs of a dead battery, such as dim lights, radio cutting in and out, power locks not working, etc.
- Better maintain your battery by keeping it clean.
- Try to park in garages or parking structures to avoid the battery being affected by extreme weather conditions.
If you suspect that your car battery is on its way out, don't hesitate to give us a call here at German Motorworks today for service!